Jacket and Shorts Stage 1



My next project is going to be a lengthy one, so I’m doing more than one post as it develops.

It’s also going to be a challenge as the make isn’t for me – it’s for my son’s fiancé who’s is about 250 miles away, which would present fitting problems even without the current U.K. lockdown!
The request was for a spring / summer shorts and jacket suit, with the RTW pictures below supplied for inspiration.

Nat is particularly interested in having a pair of shorts that fit her – she has a lovely hourglass figure which is very unlike my straight rectangular frame. I am used to my issue in RTW / pattern alterations which is if the hips fit, the waist is too small, and of course if the waist fits the hips stick out bizarrely! ( if anyone is interested I find that the Japanese Uniqlo RTW trousers are generally good for this shape!)

For Nat I need to do the exact opposite – reduce the waist size. As I am afraid the whole process may be a disaster, my one requirement is to make sure the cost ( fabric, patterns etc) is minimal so that it’s not a. Expensive mistake if it all ends up in the bin…..

So stage 1 – choosing patterns

Luckily I have a lot of patterns ! After a extensive review I found the following:

Seamwork Iris shorts. These have a nice shaped waistband , fitted hips and the looser leg Nat wants.

For the jacket I found a pattern in one of my Burdastyle magazines ( March 2017)

So 2 patterns with no additional cash outlay.

Stage 2 – fabric hunting

Nat lives within walking distance of an Abakhans and found a piece of fabric there which she likes. At £6 it seemed worth the risk, although it is not boucle ( as the RTW suits) and with the level of stretch plus a very loose weave it will require lining.

Nat also had a small amount of fabric left over from a dress she had made. It’s a pale green medium weight poly of some sort which she also posted down to me as I had said I would try making a wearable toile of the shorts first. So zero cost on that fabric.

Of course, having bought the cream fabric , what pops up on one of the fabric sellers I follow? …… very reasonably priced boucle. With some concern over the stretch in the cream fabric I decided 15. For 3 metres the peach boucle was a good buy.

Stage 3 – toiles and fitting

The first toile – shorts made in cotton sheeting – was completed at the very start of this year, and felt tip lines drawn for alterations


Marked waist adjustment

The changes have been transferred to the wearable toile and made up into pale green shorts.


Fingers are very firmly crossed that these might fit! I have left the hem of the shorts unfinished as I am unsure about length required.

A first sheeting toile has also been made of the jacket. Seam allowances have been added only where seams were required for toile purposes ( ie shoulder seams, armhole seams and side seams) for fitting purposes.



Stage 4

The green shorts and the jacket toile will now be posted to Nat. A zoom call will be set up to assess fit and I think I’m going to have to get my son involved with a felt tip pen to mark up alterations to the jacket! I can then hopefully use the toile to set about cutting out from the intended fabric. The next post will cover how well the items fitted and the next stages.


Burda Style December 2019 velvet top

This top caught my eye in the December issue of Burda style magazine.

i loved the added interest of the shaped sleeve edge and thought that made up in a drapey velvet it would make an ideal top for wear with trousers for  Christmas events.

4DDCBD40-3774-49D0-A13E-8B834AF5864426070075-DE2F-41C7-93C6-C1898CA49701

The fabric –  a deep blue stretch velvet- was acquired in Abakhans buy by weight section.

7D0F9614-D6DF-4770-ACEB-D262807F4F40

i haven’t made many Burda magazine patterns up. The need to trace off the pattern and add seam allowances usually means I go to other patterns first. It didn’t take too long with a simple top though.

I am still not sure if I have constructed the front neckline correctly as there are no picture instructions – but it does work. It’s finished with a pretty button from my inherited button box.

2365260B-8BAB-4EF4-8484-251FD11FF1F57DFC7810-1873-4245-8699-A3464E540808

The sizing, even allowing for the style not being fitted, came up too voluminous for my liking, so I did run the side seams in a bit to reduce width.

DD561242-4492-437D-8583-74E302596C7B

I wore this on a number of occasions to various meet ups over the holiday period

C28DE932-EA55-455D-8DED-198E4182A2DD