Jacket and Shorts continued

It’s been a while since I’ve written up my sewing…so this is the start of a catch up. Both quantity of sewing and blogging has been low – I think it’s the Covid effect.

I have finally completed the jacket and shorts started for my son’s fiancé back in February . At the last stage I had just posted off the wearable toile of the shorts and a sheet toile of the jacket. Report back on the sizing was that the jacket was perfect ( well it was a boxy one so I hoped required fitting would be minimal) , and the shorts were wearable, but a little bit big round the waist , and ideally a higher waist band would be preferred. The shorts were tried on over zoom to give an idea of the fit

The green wearable toile was worn almost immediately .

So it was on to the actual make. As the fabric was a loose knit it needed to be stabilised and lined .


The jacket actually went together fairly quickly and easily.




Of course the shorts, with a side zip, took longer. I tried to make them similar to the original cotton sheet toile, but slightly smaller on the waist and higher. In the end I decided to treat the side seams as one piece of fabric rather than an outer and lining – just in case I needed to alter the sizing.


Both items were posted off to Manchester. The initial response was that the jacket fitted , but that the shorts were a bit big ! I don’t think 5 months of running training for a half marathon had helped my attempts to fit at a distance!!!! Whilst the claim was they would be wearable, I decided immediately that alterations sounded necessary if they were to be worn.

Revised fitting was helped by a visit to Manchester – a visit planned for when lockdown restrictions were lifted. Seeing the shorts on made life so much easier – and confirmed my suspicion that they needed altering . I was also asked to put some darts into the back of the jacket to create a more fitted waist, and to add a button to the top to hold the jacket closed.

The alterations were turned around in a day once I got home. The jacket again was the easiest – unpick lining side seam, add fisheye darts and resew lining back together. And chose a button from the button tin.


Fdart


The shorts were not much fun. I was really glad I had just sewn up the side seams , but there was still much unpicking, including taking out the side spoil and setting it back in – and much muttering under the breath before the resizing was completed.

And this is when I realise I forgot to take any pictures of the remade shorts before sending them back to Manchester……. Well to be honest, they didn’t look much different from the original ones- and a photo probably wouldn’t show the size difference anyway!

I haven’t seen a picture of Nat in the outfit yet – but I am told the fit is now good.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s